Sunday, April 26, 2015

Book Review: Blindness by José Saramago


Blindness - Essay on Blindness by Jose Saramago (1997)

A city is hit by an epidemic of "white blindness" that spares no one. Authorities confine the blind to an empty mental hospital, but there the criminal element holds everyone captive, stealing food rations and assaulting women. There is one eyewitness to this nightmare who guides her charges—among them a boy with no mother, a girl with dark glasses, a dog of tears—through the barren streets, and their procession becomes as uncanny as the surroundings are harrowing. As Blindness reclaims the age-old story of a plague, it evokes the vivid and trembling horrors of the twentieth century, leaving readers with a powerful vision of the human spirit that's bound both by weakness and exhilarating strength.

Blindness or Essay on Blindness is a book written by Jose Saramago and was published in English in October 1997. This book gives you a metaphor on the twentieth century problems in a "white blindness" form.

I'm not going to lie; I read this book for school and I think it was so good that I had to review it. Also, because I had so much work to do for my classes that I couldn't read a new book. 

This book made me just speechless. I really love the concept of it and how Saramago represents the problems that our society lives with this disease that affect some people. We can see how this plague destroys society. This book has some beautiful yet breathtaking quotes, like:

“I don't think we did go blind, I think we are blind, Blind but seeing, Blind people who can see, but do not see.”


“The difficult thing isn't living with other people, it's understanding them.”


“If we cannot live entirely like human beings, at least let us do everything in our power not to live entirely like animals.”


“Perhaps only in a world of the blind will things be what they truly are.”

This book was also made into a movie released in 2008 starring Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo, which I haven't watch yet but I'm totally hoping to watch.

To me this book is totally amazing and I 100% recommend it.


That's all for now, if you want to you can follow me on my social media to talk me whenever you want to. And also subscribe!, so you can get the posts at the time they're uploaded! All of that is on the right side of your screen. BYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment