Sunday, April 12, 2015

Book Review: Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler


Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (2011)

"I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened."

Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.


Why We Broke Up is a book written by Daniel Handler and was published in December 2011. This book is beautifully illustrated by Maira Kalman with drawings of all the things that Min gave to Ed when they broke up.

This book brings you the typical couple of a smart girl and a sporty-douchebag guy, that she knows he is a womanizer and is recognized in all the school, and he doesn't even know her name; but, with another whole side of the story, we don't get to see how he probably cheated on her and she takes revenge and all that typical situation that most stories have.

I have to say that some of the characters are not my favorite. I started hating Ed since not even the middle of the book, for some reason that I don't know, oh wait, because he is an idiot. I think that he is like those very closed mind guys, so much that he thinks that drinking coffee with milk and sugar is for "girls and faggots", and treats Min very bad, like, are you kidding me? Why are you with him?. Thank God she dumped him.

Overall, this book has a pretty good story and it's something that I have never seen before, but the characters are very important -for me- on how the story gets me. 

Rate: ★ ★ ★

That's all for now, if you want to you can follow me on my social media to talk me whenever you want to. And also I got a subscribe button, so you can get the posts at the time they're uploaded! All of that is on the right side of your screen. BYE!


No comments:

Post a Comment